Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My dollhouse project and a fun tip for you!!!

Hello there,
I dont post much about my party planning and crafting escapades other than cardmaking and the occasional extras but I really have a lot of other crafts that I enjoy! I love designing printable favors, decorations and invitations for weddings, parties, baby showers etc. so if you ever have an idea you would like to play with for a party and cant find the right supplies shoot me an email!!!

Today I came across a fabulous project from Paper Source that you can see HERE, they used powdered sugar and a stamp to create some really elegant plates which you could recreate for super cheap so I wanted to share that with you!

Another project I am working on right now is a dollhouse for my daughters birthday next month! Isnt it cute? Its really big too, 21 inches wide by 20 inches tall! My intentions were to post photos as it was put together but when I recieved the kit and saw how much work it was I got a little distracted. There were a million tiny pieces that all had to be sanded, glued and painted! My husband would probably call it obsessed but my intentions of photographing each step went out the window! After about a week or two of working on it whenever I get the chance I have made quite a bit of progress and I wanted to share it with you! As you can see, I still have a LOT of work to do, shutters need to be attached, I have about 15 more pieces of trim to apply, more roofing, stairs need to be attached inside,  and about thirty more steps including the door but each step has another that needs to be completed first and I am stuck right now! I need wall paper and flooring! I would like bright colors, pink, green, blue and yellow for the four rooms and I cant seem to find contact paper or wallpaper in all of those colors and the couple I have found I would have to buy a large roll which is just too costly!

So.... any suggestions ladies and gents??? I thought of using patterned paper but my little one is messy and I could just see her pouring juice in there and ruining it the first time it was played with! So thats my dilemma and all construction is at a stand still until I can find what I need so PLEASE HELP!!!

13 comments:

  1. I would love it if you shared more of your crafting adventures on your blog, your other crafts you do! I so would love to see it! Love this dollhouse, a lot of work! What if you did pp that you laminate? It would be pretty and you could easily wash it off. I don't think it would be that hard to find somewhere to laminate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job so far! oh, I want a little girl just so I can build a dollhouse! I remember my dad building a dollhouse for me when i was little and having so much fun decorating it!

    how about mod podging the pattern paper down? Might give it a bit of protection. Or maybe you could find that one of the home stores is getting rid of their wall sample book. I've heard they give the books away when they get new ones. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I loved the dollhouse my dad made for me when I was a little girl. I still have it. I am afraid I have no suggestions really other than the contact paper. On second thought, could you modge podge some patterned paper to make it sturdier and more water proof??? I don't know. I"ll keep thinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful dollhouse! I would've been thrilled as a child to receive such a gift! For the wallpaper/floors, have you looked into an acrylic sealant or varnish? I have used sealant over paper in the past and if done right it will provide a very washable surface.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you see able sample for linoleum? They made it in just about every color these days, that's be kid-proof, just wash off whatever gets spilled on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic doll house project!! I think if you're going to use patterned paper, you need to mod-podge it or something to give it a bit of extra resilience. They also make shelving papers in all kinds of funky colors and patterns these days....so something like that would be "water-proof".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooo cute! Love it!!! Marlene is right mod-podge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was coming to suggest mod-podge but it looks like great minds have already taken care of it :) the mod-podge will seal the paper so if she spills anything, you can just wipe it up-no harm, no foul! What a fun and special gift!! She's going to love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE that doll house. How old is your daughter going to be? Mine will be 2 in 2 days. I just checked out the doll house and I think I might have to get one for my daughter. I would have suggested Mod-Podge too or laminating paper sounds like a good one too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so neat!! Love it. I agree that Mod-Podge would be good to attach paper or have you tried looking at the Dollar Store. I have seen some small packs of wallpaper strips there in some bright colors before on the aisle with household stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh!I love this doll house! So cuteee!
    And yes, I would have to agree with most others, Modge Podge is definitely great for attaching paper to wood and for laminating or coating it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Kim that is just amazing. I can't imagine how much work it's taking -- it sounds like you're really building a house, just on a smaller scale.
    For wall paper, see if you can find a wallpaper sample book. I know people sometimes can get the old ones cheap/free from the paint store (or maybe Lowe's ,etc) when new ones come out-- if you have any decorator friends, ask them. A page out of that should be enough for any room in the dollhouse.

    ReplyDelete